Together with Local Partners, LM10 has created the First Livestock In Vitro Fertilization Lab in the Philippines, focused on improving the number and quality of the Dairy and Cattle market. The focus of GENEX is on improving the number and quality of cattle in the local livestock market.
The Philippine agricultural sector is still at an early developmental stage with vast potential for growth in the dairy and cattle industry. Our company offers the implementation of a technique that allows the transfer of sexed embryos that will have a positive impact in the profitability of an agricultural business. As of yet, the Philippine market is reliant on traditional breeding methods and there is space in the local market for technology that can help modernize the sector and increase the sector’s productivity.
WHAT WE OFFER
GENEX utilizes IVF technology, a process by which mature female eggs, called oocytes, are retrieved from ovaries, then fertilized by sperm in a lab. It is a flexible and tried and tested system, globally accepted as best practice, but innovative in its implementation in the Philippines.
Compared to traditional breeding methods, IVF makes it possible to rapidly multiply and breed genetically superior cattle within a short generation interval. The process permits the storage of frozen embryos for an indeterminate period. The embryos can be transferred to surrogate cows or commercialized directly to the breeders, which constitutes an added value that will jump-start the sector.
IVF is ideal for the production of great quantities of genetically superior cows or Carabaos. It not only allows breeders to plan their herds to conform to the necessities of market demands, but also allows them to be able to select the preferred genetic traits of the cows and know ahead of time the sex of the calf before birth.
WHAT IS IN VITRO FERTILIZATION?
IVF is a technique in which the oocytes are extracted from a donor cow by a method of aspiration from the reproductive tract. Selected ooytes are then incubated until they reach their maturation period, typically after 24 hours. After incubation, the mature eggs are fertilized between 18 to 22 hours after the co-culture has been made. Then, finally, the embryos stay in the medium until the 7th day, when they are ready to be transferred.
MAIN ADVANTAGES OVER CONVENTIONAL IN VIVO EMBRYO COLLECTION
First of all, with IVF, there is no preparation time needed before the procedure and it is not necessary to super ovulate the cows, nor is it necessary to synchronize them. This is a major breakthrough since the donor cows are not exposed to hormones that might compromise the reproductive soundness of the animals. Embryo production averages in about 30% of the oocytes harvested, although this quantity varies depending on the breed, the donor cow, and also the mating.
Another advantage is that the animals can be aspirated every 20 days instead of every 60 as is in In Vivo embryo collection.
With IVF, the animals can be harvested at a very young age, creating a major impact on breeding selection since it reduces the generation interval for the animals with a specific desirable trait.
Main advantages of IVF in livestock market
- Makes it possible to rapidly multiply and breed genetically superior cattle within a short generation interval, multiplying pre-selected females;
- Increases efficiency of multiplication in breeding,
- Permits sex determination of the offspring and pre-test of actual fertility status of the bull;
- Raises the average litre productivity per cow;
- Improves pregnancy rates in lactating cows;
- Guarantees 100% pregnancy rate;
- Lowers costs: importation of live dairy cattle can cost P150,000 to P180,000 per animal initially;
- No quarantine needed: animals are born in the country;
- Generates potential to create a local raze and market it worldwide: beef and dairy cow;
- Eliminates the need to super ovulate the cow, there is no need of hormones like with AI;
- Highly efficient use of semen in comparison with other repro tools (AI), one straw of conventional frozen semen can fertilized a high number of female donors (>25);
- Develops Genetic Jump: no need to wait too long to improve genetics;
- Permits to rescue genetics: produces embryos from females in different physiologic conditions (terminal, disease, culled, accident, etc.);
- Proven Technology: all Latin America, USA, Europe, South Africa, Australia and China; Philippines will be the first one in South East Asia;
- Genetics generated in-house in the Philippines: money reinvested in the country.